Getting through a cold and dreary winter is hard enough on its own. When there’s a pandemic happening on top of the bad weather, it makes things even more difficult. As you battle the winter and social distancing, try to take some time to focus on your mental wellness. After all, Mental Wellness Leads to Better Physical Health.
Here are four ways to improve your mental wellness:
Maintain a Healthy Diet
- Eating a well-balanced diet with enough fruits and vegetables is crucial for maintaining mental wellness. The healthier you eat the better you feel.
- Omega-3 fatty acids specifically are linked to decreased rates of depression. Taking fish oil supplements and eating foods such as wild salmon, flaxseeds, or walnuts can help decrease your depression while building healthy gut bacteria.
Be Physically Active
- Exercise has been proven to reduce anxiety, depression, and negative mood by improving self-esteem and cognitive function.
- Physical activity has also been found to alleviate symptoms such as social withdrawal.
FSBP programs that may help: Health Coaching Program, Digital Coach Program, Mediterranean Wellness. For information on these programs click here. FSBP also offers Dietary & Nutrition Counseling and Fitness Discounts.
Talk to Someone
- Talking to friends, family, or a licensed professional can help you manage your mental wellness.
- There are multiple online resources that provide a safe space to talk to someone about your mental health. Talkspace, BetterHelp, Larkr, and ReGain are just a few options of online/application resources available to everyone.
FSBP programs that may help: Telehealth, Teledoc, and myStrength. As an FSBP member you have access to myStrength. This program provides you with resources to help overcome depression, anxiety, and substance use disorder. FSBP members also gave access to licensed professionals through our Telehealth and Telemed benefits. To learn more click here and scroll down.
- Taking time to be mindful and practice meditation are keys to improving your mental wellbeing.
- The CDC recommends taking time to unwind to cope with stress and help your mental health.
FSBP programs that may help: As an FSBP member you have access to meditation app discounts such as Honor Yoga, Pranamaya, and Calm. To learn more about these discounts and how to take advantage of them, check out this blog post. For even more information on how to improve your mental wellness visit: https://www.mhanational.org/.
 “31 Tips to Boost Your Mental Health.” Mental Health America, www.mhanational.org/31-tips-boost-your-mental-health.
 Sharma, Ashish, et al. “Exercise for Mental Health.” Primary Care Companion to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Physicians Postgraduate Press, Inc., 2006, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1470658/#:~:text=Exercise%20improves%20mental%20health%20by,self%2Desteem%20and%20cognitive%20function.&text=Exercise%20has%20also%20been%20found,self%2Desteem%20and%20social%20