Are you Eligible?
The American Foreign Service Protective Association (AFSPA) offers a variety of insurance products and professional services to eligible members. There are no dues and membership is for life.
Click here to become a member of AFSPA.
AFSPA membership is limited American Foreign Service personnel and direct hire employees (i.e. eligible for FEHB insurance) working for the:
- Department of State;
- Department of Defense;
- Agency for International Development;
- Foreign Commercial Service;
- Foreign Agricultural Service;
- Department of Homeland Security;
- Central Intelligence Agency;
- National Security Agency;
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI); and to
- Executive Branch civilian employees assigned overseas or to U.S. possessions and territories; and the direct hire domestic employees assigned to support those activities. Executive Branch includes all Federal civilian employees except those working for the Legislative (Congress) and Judicial (Courts) Branches of the Federal government.
Our most prominent program is the Foreign Service Benefit Plan (FSBP), a Federal Employee Health Benefit program. When you enroll in FSBP, you automatically become a member of AFSPA.
For more details about enrolling in FSBP, visit All About FSBP.
Enrollment in our Ancillary Insurance Programs (AIP) is open to all AFSPA members, with the exception of the Immediate Benefit Plan. In many cases, AIP programs are also open to dependents of AFSPA members.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, please call us at (202) 833-4910.